Pages

Friday, August 12, 2011

What Happened to Goodbye by Sarah Dessen

Who is the real McLean?

Since her parents' bitter divorce, McLean and her dad, a restaurant consultant, have been on the move-four towns in two years. Estranged from her mother and her mother's new family, McLean has followed her dad in leaving the unhappy past behind. And each new place gives her a chance to try out a new persona: from cheerleader to drama diva. But now, for the first time, McLean discovers a desire to stay in one place and just be herself, whoever that is. Perhaps Dave, the guy next door, can help her find out.

Combining Sarah Dessen's trademark graceful writing, great characters, and compelling storytelling, What Happened to Goodbye is irresistible reading.


I was super excited for this book, Sarah Dessen is one of my favorite YA authors and her books are some of my favorites, that said this was not my favorite of her books. I did enjoy it but I felt slightly bored on a few occasions, I just wanted something to HAPPEN.


The thing that made me want to keep reading this book was the characters. My favorite character would have to be Deb, she's just so herself, no matter what. She was never what you expected her to be. I also loved Opal, the way she cared so much about the restaurant was endearing and I liked the way she defended the restaurant so much, the struggle to improve the restaurant was probably my favorite plot line in the book (although the plot line with McLean's mom was the one that got me the most emotional).


I think the reason that the plot line of this book bothered me was because it could be a bit slow moving at times. There were emotional issues but I felt like nothing new ever really happened with them, they were just kind of ........... there. Although it might just be that this was my first time reading this one, for some reason I find that Dessen's books grow on me each time I read them.


A good one to pick up if you are a Dessen fan or enjoy emotional story's about finding yourself, but not the book you want to pick up if you have never read Sarah Dessen before (for that I would recommend Just Listen or The Truth About Forever, both personal favorites).

No comments:

Post a Comment