Pages

Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Revolution by Jennifer Donnelly

BROOKLYN: Andi Alpers is on the edge. She’s angry at her father for leaving, angry at her mother for not being able to cope, and heartbroken by the loss of her younger brother, Truman. Rage and grief are destroying her. And she’s about to be expelled from Brooklyn Heights’ most prestigious private school when her father intervenes. Now Andi must accompany him to Paris for winter break.

PARIS: Alexandrine Paradis lived over two centuries ago. She dreamed of making her mark on the Paris stage, but a fateful encounter with a doomed prince of France cast her in a tragic role she didn’t want—and couldn’t escape.

Two girls, two centuries apart. One never knowing the other. But when Andi finds Alexandrine’s diary, she recognizes something in her words and is moved to the point of obsession. There’s comfort and distraction for Andi in the journal’s antique pages—until, on a midnight journey through the catacombs of Paris, Alexandrine’s words transcend paper and time, and the past becomes suddenly, terrifyingly present.

Jennifer Donnelly, author of the award-winning novel A Northern Light, artfully weaves two girls’ stories into one unforgettable account of life, loss, and enduring love. Revolution spans centuries and vividly depicts the eternal struggles of the human heart.


This was one of those books that I just happened to see on the shelves and the key on the binding caught my eye, so I didn't really know what to expect. Let's just say I was very pleasantly surprised.

When I first started reading this book I didn't think I was going to like Andi, I mean what is there to like about a self-deprecating druggie, right? Wrong. Her attitude did piss me off at first but once we learned the reason behind it all I felt was pity. She was just so sad! I loved the way she interacted with other people, she was bitchy at times but you could definitely tell she felt bad about some of the things she said and did. But although I did love reading about Andi I would have to say the excerpts from Alexandrine's diary were definitely my favorite part. I loved the historic aspect that we got from the French Revolution and Donnelly combined the past and the present flawlessly! I never questioned what relevance Alexandrine had to the story at all!


This was definitely an emotional read for me, I thought that the author portrayed Andi and Alexandrines emotions beautifully, none of it made me want to roll my eyes or say "really?". This is a great book for anyone who loves historical fiction or books about loss. I can't wait to read more of Donnellys books!

No comments:

Post a Comment