Pages

Thursday, August 11, 2011

Before the Blog (1)

Before the Blog is a newer MeMe created by Karis at YA Litwit where bloggers share a brief overview of a book that they read before they began blogging but enjoyed enough that they still want to post it on their respective blogs! I love this idea! This week I will be sharing my thoughts on My Most Excellent Year by Steve Kluger.

Dear Anthony:
I appreciate your recent interest, but I’m not accepting applications at this time. Your letter will be kept in our files and someone will get back to you if there is an opening. Thank you for thinking of me.
Respectfully, Alejandra Perez
P.S. It’s not “Allie.” It’s “Ale.”
Meet T.C., who is valiantly attempting to get Alejandra to fall in love with him; Alejandra, who is playing hard to get and is busy trying to sashay out from under the responsibilities of being a diplomat’s daughter; and T.C.’s brother Augie, who is gay and in love and everyone knows it but him.

Why did you choose this book?: I originally chose this book for an english class during my Sophmore year. Our school was doing a program where we received recently published YA books that we had to read and then briefly review it in order for our library to keep it. Honestly I wasn't sure if I would like it based on the baseball bat on the cover (I'm not really a sports person).



When did you read this book?: I first read this book two years ago but then I read it again about a year ago.


Who would you recommend this book to?: I would recognize this book to any High School student or anyone who enjoys YA literature.


I honestly love this book. It's told from the point of view of three different characters, Augie, T.C., and Ale. All three are amazing characters although I would have to say my favorite was probably Augie, a fabulous, confident gay teen who loves soccer, and musicals, ESPECIALLY musicals. His friendship with T.C. is one of the most endearing I've ever come across in YA lit and T.C.'s relationship with Ale was hilarious. Ale is so sassy, and definitely doesn't want anything to do with T.C., a typical boy, or does she......? T.C. himself is fabulous, he's one of those characters that I wasn't sure if I would like but I ended up falling in love with, plus he's got an adorable butt! With all three of these fantastic characters stuffed into one book there's something for everyone! That's not even a lie, I believe that this book would appeal to people of all different interests.


The storyline of this book is fantastic. You'll laugh, you'll cry, you'll wish you had more! It's one of my favorite coming of age stories, complete with awesome friendships, an endearing romance, an adorable little boy, and the talent show to end all talent shows! How can you resist?

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for joining up! I've never heard of this book, but I'm definitely going to check it out. Looks great! Thanks for sharing!!

    http://yalitwit.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete