Pages

Friday, January 14, 2011

The Maze Runner by James Dashner

Synopsis

When Thomas wakes up in the lift, the only thing he can remember is his first name. His memory is blank. But he's not alone. When the lift's doors open, Thomas finds himself surrounded by kids who welcome him to the Glade-a large, open expanse surrounded by stone walls.

Just like Thomas, the Gladers don't know why or how they got to the Glade. All they know is that every morning the stone doors to the maze that surrounds them have opened. Every night they've closed tight. And every 30 days a new boy has been delivered in the lift.

Thomas was expected. But the next day, a girl is sent up-the first girl to ever arrive in the Glade. And more surprising yet is the message she delivers.

Thomas might be more important than he could ever guess. If only he could unlock the dark secrets buried within his mind.

Usually I fall in love with dystopian novels, I devour them and then I freak out about what would happen if the world was actually like that. I'm sure that's not normal, but I do it anyways. That didn't really happen with this book, I liked it but I didn't fall in love with it.

Thomas was a good character, but I didn't really connect with him right away. I thought his reaction to the maze was a little unrealistic, although it did say later that he felt comfortable there, which might have been alluding to the rest of the book. However one character I did really like was Teresa. She was sassy, I wish she hadn't come in so late in the book.

I liked the plot, but I found it really confusing in the beginning, I guess this was a way for the author to get us to relate to Thomas more, since he's so confused but I thought he could have made us relate to Thomas in a more obvious way.

My favorite part of this book was the last couple of chapters, the action really revved up and I liked some of the information we got at the end (sorry if that's a little vague, but i don't want to spoil the book), I am looking forward to reading the next book The Scorch Trials. I have a feeling this is one of those series that gets better as it goes on.

Plot: 3/5
Characters: 3/5
Ending: 4/5
Cover: 5/5

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the great review. I've got to get around to reading this.

    ReplyDelete