Pages

Monday, January 31, 2011

Front and Center by Catherine Gilbert Murdock


After five months of sheer absolute craziness I was going back to being plain old background D.J. In photographs of course I’m always in the background . . .
But it turns out other folks have big plans for D.J. Like her coach. College scouts. All the town hoops fans. A certain Red Bend High School junior who’s keen for romance and karaoke. Not to mention Brian Nelson, who she should not be thinking about! Who she is done with, thank you very much. But who keeps showing up anyway . . .
 
Readers first fell in love with straight-talking D. J. Schwenk in Dairy Queen; they followed her ups and downs both on and off the court in The Off Season. Now D. J.steps out from behind the free-throw line in this final installment of the Dairy Queen trilogy

The thing I love about this series is how real it is. D.J. is a down to earth tomboy who loves her family, her dog, and sports. She even makes me love sports, and I'm the least athletic person in the world. D.J. is one of those characters that you instantly love even though you can't exactly figure out why, honestly I think my favorite thing about D.J. is her relationship with Curtis, we only see little snapshots of it but every time we do I love it! Best siblings ever!

This book was definitely a great end to the series, we saw resolve in D.J.'s relationships and a glimpse at where her future was going (well more than a glimpse, the whole book is basically her planning her future). While it wasn't a tear jerker like the second book in the trilogy it had some awesome emotion in it, I thought Murdock did a great job of capturing the panic that teens go through while thinking about college.

A great end to a great series! I'll miss you D.J., good luck! From one Wisconsin girl to another :)

Cover: 4/5
Plot: 5/5
Characters: 5/5
Ending 5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment