Pages

Friday, January 7, 2011

Dear Pen Pal (Mother-Daughter Book Club #3) by Heather Vogel Frederick


This is a very fun series, I've followed it for a couple of years now and I still haven't lost interest. The books center around four girls, Emma, Jess, Megan, and Cassidy.The girls are all from different backgrounds and have different interests and personality's but are brought together through a mother daughter book club. In this installment the girls are in eighth grade (in the first book the girls are in sixth grade, in the second book they're in seventh grade).

Let me just say that I am a junior in high school and I still find enjoyment in these books. They are aimed toward more middle grade girls but I think that they have themes and plots (and fun characters!) that will interest anyone. I really liked seeing how the girls matured in this book. Jess goes off to a private boarding school (but is still in Concord) and Cassidy deals with a family surprise, and of course there's a little boy trouble!

However what I think makes this book really endearing is the girls friendships with each other and their relationships with their mothers. It's really nice to read about friendships that I've experienced, with different people of course, in my life, and to see an accurate portrayal of a teen daughter and her mom.

You know what I found surprising about this book? How much it made me want to read Daddy Long Legs! I had never heard of it before reading this book and it really peaked my interest. I think that Heather Vogel does a great thing for classic literature in these novels. She makes the books into something fun you actually want to read, and the discussion questions in the back of the book for your own mother-daughter book club, how fun are those? I almost want to start one just so I can use them!

This is a fun light read, where everything always end happily. Who doesn't want to read a book like that once and awhile?

Plot: 4/5
Characters: 5/5
Ending: 5/5
Cover: 4/5

No comments:

Post a Comment