Pages

Friday, December 24, 2010

Silver Phoenix by Cindy Pon

 
Ai Ling can see into other people's minds and reach into their spirits. But she doesn't know why this power has awakened inside her. She only knows that it is growing. It leads her on an epic journey—one that brings her to the edge of the deepest evil.
Chen Yong has a quest of his own, but then his path crosses Ai Ling's. And there's a connection so strong that neither can ignore it.
Now they must face terrifying demons determined to kill them, and battle through treacherous lands. It is their destiny. But can destiny keep them together?

I have mixed feelings about this book. I liked the characters and the plot, but I'm not sure if I liked the pacing of it.

Ai Ling was a great character to read about, she was really easy to relate to, at least for me, and I loved her "I can do anything a man can do" girl power attitude. I just wish there had been more chemistry between her and Chen Yong, at times I felt like they were only meant to be friends, so I hope that we get more romantic feelings between them in the next book.

The thing that really bothered me about this book was how fast it seemed to go. It was like one minute Ai Ling and Chen Yong met and then the next they had been friends forever, and I felt like we never really got time to see Ai Lings point of view on things because she was already in the next situation. Needless to say this book had plenty of action.

But even though it had its flaws I really enjoyed this book. I loved how the Asian culture was incorporated into the novel. Not necessarily a historical fiction novel but more of a fantasy with a historical fiction twist added in.

Plot: 5/5
Characters: 4/5
Cover: 4/5
Ending: 3/5

No comments:

Post a Comment