Pages

Friday, October 26, 2012

Review: Touch of Frost by Jennifer Estep

My name is Gwen Frost, and I go to Mythos Academy; a school of myths, magic and warrior whiz kids, where even the lowliest geek knows how to chop off somebody's head with a sword and Logan Quinn, the hottest Spartan guy in school, also happens to be the deadliest. But lately, things have been weird, even for Mythos. First, mean girl Jasmine Ashton was murdered in the Library of Antiquities. Then, someone stole the Bowl of Tears, a magical artifact that can be used to bring about the second Chaos War. You know, death, destruction and lots of other bad, bad things. Freaky stuff like this goes on all the time at Mythos, but I'm determined to find out who killed Jasmine and why; especially since I should have been the one who died...

I wasn't really expecting much when I picked up this book, I bought it because it was only $2.99 for the Kindle and I was bored. So I was excited when I started reading it and it was about one of my favorite YA themes, mythology!

This book is a really fast read, it has a nice pace and an interesting storyline that I found suprisingly unpredictable. When I first began reading I thought that I had the mystery figured out, but I definitely didn't see the twist coming and I LOVED it! I also enjoyed how Estep used God's from almost every country, not just Greece or Rome. It really made it stand out from other YA books that incorporate mythology. It also made the Mythos Academy students more interesting to me, because they were different then any godly descendants I had read about before.

The main character Gwen is an outsider at Mythos Academy because she's not rich or gifted like everyone else, so of course we end up finding out that she just might be more gifted than any of them. At times Gwen was rather frustrating, it seemed like she just wanted to see the worst in everyone. However as the story went on I began to like her more, mostly because of her sass. As for Logan, well he's just the perfect bad boy isn't he? I loved Logan and I loved the tension between him and Gwen, it was my favorite part of the book. I did however find his reputation a little scandalous though, maybe it's just me but wouldn't you be a LITTLE alarmed if the boy you liked had supposedly slept with half of the school? Then again I suppose it could make him even more desirable...

Overall I though Touch of Frost had an interesting plot that I haven't read a million times before, enjoyable characters that seemed very human, and a great boarding school setting! Who doesn't love that?

No comments:

Post a Comment