Pages

Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Carpe Diem by Autumn Cornwell


“Ive got my entire life planned out for the next ten years including my PhD and Pulitzer Prize,” claims 16-year-old overachiever Vassar Spore, daughter of overachiever parents, who in true overachiever fashion named her after an elite womens college. Vassar expects her sophomore summer to include AP and AAP (Advanced Advanced Placement) classes. Surprise! Enter a world-traveling relative who sends her plans into a tailspin when she blackmails Vassars parents into forcing their only child to backpack with her through Southeast Asia.

On a journey from Malaysia to Cambodia to the remote jungles of Laos, Vassar sweats, falls in love, hones her outdoor survival skillsand uncovers a family secret that turns her whole world upside-down. Vassar Spore can plan on one thing: shell never be the same again


I'm so glad I picked this book up! From the cover I kind of expected this book to be more on the serious side however I was pleasantly surprised to find some laugh out loud parts.

I really enjoyed all of the characters in this book. Vassar was the epitome of a perfect high-school student and seeing her being forced into compromising situations (most of which i totally agreed we're completely ridiculous) was both frustrating and thought-provoking. The banter between Hanks the Asian cowboy and Vassar were some of my favorite parts of the novel. I also really enjoyed Vassar's grandmother, mostly because she was nothing like my grandmothers and she completely clashed with Vassar's personality.

One thing that I wish had been changed however was the epilogue of the book, we we're left with a quote rather than an actual what the characters are doing now epilogue. Other than the ending though I really enjoyed the plot of this book, at sometimes it was a little unrealistic but hey, It's fiction, not everything has to be real! Definitely a book that deserves to be more widely circulated.

Plot: 4/5
Characters: 4/5
Ending: 2/5
Cover: 3/5

No comments:

Post a Comment