Pages

Wednesday, April 20, 2011

The Jumbee by Pamela Keyes

When Esti Legard starts theater school on Cariba, she's determined to step out of the shadow of her late father, a famous Shakespearean actor. But on an island rife with superstition, Esti can't escape the darkness. In the black of the theater, an alluring phantom voice known only as Alan becomes her brilliant drama tutor, while in the light of day Esti struggles to resist her magnetic attraction to Rafe, the local bad boy. Toppled sets, frightening rumors of jumbee ghosts, and brewing tropical storms culminate in a tantalizingly spooky finale where romance sizzles and truths are unmasked. Laced with eerie mystery and the lush scenery of the West Indies, this modern Phantom is perfect for readers who like their love stories served with spine-tingling suspense

.I really enjoyed 99% of this book. I really liked Esti, I loved seeing her try so let her actress side out of her fathers death, and her struggle to establish herself away from her home. One thing that I did not like about this book was the relationship between Rafe and Esti, I liked them in theory but I felt like in execution they were a little bland. I also hated how Rafe called her babe, I HATE guys who call girls "babe", but overall Rafe was a good character, I just wish he would have been rounded out more.

The tension in book was great, I couldn't wait for Esti to discover who the "voice" was and where he came from, but I did find Alan a little creepy. It also kind of bothered me that Esti didn't find him more creepy, I mean who would honestly not think a 25 year old hanging around a theater full of teenagers wasn't creepy? I suppose that as we read on and learned more Alan was more tolerable, but I also like him less, it was kind of a love-hate relationship.

Overall I would definitely recommend this book, it's a good high-tension romance that leaves you satisfied, if not a little sad.











No comments:

Post a Comment