Pages

Monday, April 25, 2011

Matched by Ally Condie

Cassia has always trusted the Society to make the right choices for her: what to read, what to watch, what to believe. So when Xander's face appears on-screen at her Matching ceremony, Cassia knows with complete certainty that he is her ideal mate . . . until she sees Ky Markham's face flash for an instant before the screen fades to black.
The Society tells her it's a glitch, a rare malfunction, and that she should focus on the happy life she's destined to lead with Xander. But Cassia can't stop thinking about Ky, and as they slowly fall in love, Cassia begins to doubt the Society's infallibility and is faced with an impossible choice: between Xander and Ky, between the only life she's known and a path that no one else has dared to follow.

After reading this book I really don't see what all of the fuss is about.  Honestly I've read some pretty scathing reviews of this novel on Goodreads, but I had also heard some gushing praise for it at school. I guess I would fall somewhere inbetween.

I didn't really like Cassia as a character. The only part where I actually enjoyed reading about her was when she was talking with her grandfather. I guess as the novel progressed she became more interesting and less annoying but I still wouldn't say I like her as a person. Actually looking back, I didn't really love any of the characters. My favorite would have to have been Ky but we didn't really hear enough about him to hold up the other characters.

The plotline was good, I just wish it had stronger characters to hold it up. I've read a lot of reviews that say The Society is a rip-off of The Giver but I didn't really see that. I think that a few things could have been cleared up, but maybe Condie wanted to leave them shrouded in questions.

Not the best book I've ever read, however I'll probably still read the sequel. What can I say? It's hard for me to abandon a series, off the top of my head I can only remember one (The Immortals by Alyson Noel, I really could not stand those books.)






No comments:

Post a Comment